Thursday, July 22, 2010
For several years in a row my husband and I would drive to Chapel Hill, North Carolina to go to a small retreat center to spend the weekend with Brennan Manning. For three days we (and about 25 others) would sit at his feet and drink in all Brennan had to say about "the reckless love of our Abba" It was so beautiful... so refreshing... so comforting... so true!
I found some of my notes the other day and loved the little tidbits he would give you... thought they were so powerful... I just wanted to share! Enjoy! : )
- Whenever you see FEAR the LORD think of Fear as being...
Revere at His Goodness (something like that)
- I should... is a key operative word of ego self
-Be yourself instead of a carbon copy of someone else
-If you comprehend God then it is not God
-Healing our image of God... Heals our image of self
-Faith is the courage to accept acceptance (because if we truly knew and understood how much God adores us and accepts
us then the above is true)
- Abba, I belong to You!
- Christianity comes when Christians experience the reckless love of God
- Cross shows Jesus unwavering trust of His Fathers love
- God's forgiveness precedes your repentance
- I (God) expected more failure from you then you did from yourself
- Why is trust so rare... it demands courage
- Childlike trust is our supreme need in our life (needs to be renewed daily)
- If God stopped thinking of me He would cease to exist
- We never judge anyone with the self hatred we judge ourselves
- A loveless act of worship is a meaningless act of worship
- May all your expectations be frustrated... all your plans be thwarted... experience the powerlessness and the poverty of a child and sing and dance in the love of God, wonder and beauty of yourself as... Abba's Child and temple of the Holy Spirit!
- Look up and reflect on these scriptures... Isaiah 43:1-5... 1 John 4:16-19... Psalm 103... Galatians 4:6-7... Luke 15:20... Song of Solomon 2:10-14... Isaiah 49:14-16... Luke 12:22-32... Romans 8:14-17... Psalm 131... John 15:15... Matthew 11:25-28... Hebrews 4:14-16... Psalm 23... John 14:1... Psalm 139:1-18